Friday, January 22, 2016

Trip to Chiang Mai!

New Years Eve is celebrated big in Thailand! I had to work Christmas day but this next week off made up for it! Mary's sister was coming to visit and her plane arrived the Monday morning so we booked our sleeper train for that night. I had never been on a sleeper train before so I was really excited! The train left at 10 pm and was scheduled to arrive in Chiang Mai at 12 pm the next day. A nice long trip of 14 hours! I had a top bunk in the train and it was surprisingly comfortable. The train wasn't the smoothest but I popped some Gravol and it helped me sleep the night through. They served breakfast in the morning too! I would definitely travel this way again! Once we arrived we took a Songtao to the hostel. We stayed at Thapae Backpackers Hostel. I had never stayed in a hostel before and had some mixed feelings. I was worried about my belongings and it being loud, but I loved this place! The woman who ran the place was very helpful and so kind! Her name was Om and after we settled in and had showers we went down to explore the city. First we a chat with Om and she hooked us up with some group tour activities for the week, gave us some money off and gave us free breakfast for the days we were staying there! The city was already setting up for the New Years Eve celebrations and the night markets were crazy! Our hostel was right in the heart of it and I have never seen so many people in one place ever! Food stands, clothing, pantings, nicknacks and so much more. This market had everything you could ever dream of. The first night I didn't go to crazy buying things but just looked. There were so many paintings I wanted to buy but I resisted even though they were so beautiful. We went to bed early the first night to rest up for the busy days ahead! The next day we had booked a day full of events! I driver came and picked us up bright and early. Our first stop on our trip was an orchid farm. The orchids were so beautiful and still remain one of my favourite flowers to this day ever since I went to a similar place in Hawaii and saw some of the most beautiful flowers. There was also a butterfly sanctuary which always reminds me of my mommy and our love of butterflies. I got lucky enough and a butterfly landed on me! I felt pretty special lol Then our next stop was white water rafting! Mary, Colleen and I had a raft to ourself with a guide. The water level was low so the rapids weren't as big as they usually are but it was still fun to paddle down the river and see the landscape and the houses that are right on the water. Some of the rapids were fun and made me scream only a little... I swear lol We made a quick pit stop to switch off on to bamboo rafts! This was something really cool to experience! The bamboo boat ride wasn't long but something cool I can check off my list of things I've done! Then was lunch.. pad thai my fav!!!! Then we went to a waterfall slide. I love these things and they seem to be all over Thailand! This once was a little bigger than the one I did at Erawan Falls and faster! I love the adrenaline rush! We all took turns doing the slide and relaxing on the rocks then off to our next stop, the elephants! This elephant camp was not like the sanctuary I did before. The elephants were treated nicely here but after learning the facts about riding them I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought. I was riding on the neck, which is the strongest point on their body which makes it better for them, but still wish I could have been feeding them or helping instead of riding. Was still an experience that was amazing but I would go back to the sanctuary first. We also got to see a longneck tribe. This was actually sad and they didn't look well. I don't know much about the longneck tradition, but these women looked like they were in it for the tourism and they look out of it and not happy. I didn't take any pictures because it just didn't feel right. Then it was back to the hostel we went! We all had quick showers then went for dinner and walked the market again. This night I went a little more crazy and finally bought a painting and some souvenirs to bring home with me. The next day I had zip lining set up! I was really exited because I have done it before and knew the exciting rush that comes with it! I was going to Skyline adventures and they have the longest zip line in Chiang Mai at 900m long! The van came and picked me up and it was about a 2 hour ride to get to the top of the mountain to begin the day! We all got suited up and got a safety lesson on the do's and don'ts of zip lining and then the fun started! Our guides for the day Muang and Yon were awesome! They were very professional and also so funny! There was a group of 9 of us zip lining together and in that 9 was a family from Australia. Peter the dad and his three kids, Josie (20), Mel (19), and Matt (16). They were so cute and so much fun! They included me with them all day and made me feel like one of the fam! There was a total of 50 combined zip lines, drops and bridges. It was so fun! I got mazing pictures and felt like a was flying for the day. So happy I decided to do it even though Mary and Colleen did not. It was well worth it! Then back to hostel and shower to get ready for the New Years Eve celebrations! We went for dinner at a cool looking restaurant and had the best Pad See Ew ever!!!! Then as we were coming out of the restaurant I saw the most amazing beautiful site I have ever seen... lanterns! Chiang Mai does a lantern release on New Years Eve and it was breath taking. Thousands of lanterns in every direction. Moving stars in the sky, it was amazing. We all just stood there staring not able to even speak because we could not believe what we were witnessing. It is something I truly wish everyone could experience. We bought a lantern each and said our wishes for the new year as we released them. At that moment I felt excited about this new year I would spend in Thailand and all the things I would get to experience and new people I would meet. It was a great moment. Then it was time to drink! First we grabbed some beers from the 7-Eleven and sat on the curb just watching the lanterns, then we tried to meet up with Elise and her friends but there was so many people it was insane! For most of the night my phone could not even get a signal because everyone was trying to use their phone that all roaming data just was not working. Mary and Colleen wanted to call it an early night, so I finally found Elise and we went to a bar! There we met twin brothers who were traveling Asia together and they were 65! It was so cool to see brothers backpacking together at that age! We talked and drank and finally parted ways. Lucky for me the bar was right next to my hostel so I didn't have far to walk! When I got back from people in the hostel were having a after party so I stayed up talking and drinking with them and got lucky enough to see the very first sun rise of 2016! Was a great night! The next day Mary and Colleen left to head down south for a couple of days so I met up with Elise for some breakfast! I then went to the Grand Canyon of Thailand. Elise and friends wanted to walk around town so I went solo, but once I arrived there were some other people from my program that were there, so I hung out with them for the day. This place was amazing! You could swim, eat and cliff jump! As soon as I got there I knew I just had to go for the big jump! It was about 20m high and one of the most terrifying things I have ever done in my life. As I stood on the top of the cliff, looking down made me sick. I knew I just had to run and jump. I needed a moment, I was shaking then I heard the chanting of my friends in the water... "Canada, Canada, CANADA!" (this is what they call me since I was like the only Canadian in the program). So I got a countdown and jumped. I think my eyes were closed, I don't remember it happened so quickly, I was screaming, then I hit the water and went deep! It felt like it took forever for me to swim up! Wow that rush though!!!!! My ears were ringing from going so deep but it was so worth it! I stayed for the afternoon and got to watch the sun go down over the canyon. It was astounding. Then back to the hostel to squeeze in a quick nap. My bug bites from the day before had swelled so  I took some meds and slept. They helped a bit. I woke up and chatted again with the same people I had the night before and called it an early night. The next morning I went to breakfast with my new friends Tristan and June, which was delicious! Fried egg on rice is very popular for breakfasts in Thailand and I have grown in live with them! For the rest of the day I wandered around the city myself checking out all of the temples. There is so many in Chiang Mai!!! On almost every street! I stopped for some mango sticky rice, because it is now my favourite food in the world omg!!!!! I probably ate it everyday in Chiang Mai and I do not regret it, I regret not eating it twice a day. My bus was leaving around 6pm so I headed back to the hostel to pack my things and get ready to leave. I wasn't thrilled to be taking a bus back because I knew it wouldn't be as comfortable as the train, but the train was sold out. The bus ride wasn't horrible. I ended up seeing a friend there and sat with him the ride back. I tried to sleep for most of it, but was hard as the seats didn't go all the way back. The bus ride did only take 11 hours though and I was back in Bangkok by 5 am. It was an amazing trip and one I will remember forever!  

No comments:

Post a Comment