Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The first night in my apartment

The day we met our school coordinators and got moved to our apartments was one of the most nerve-wracking days I've had in my life. This was the day I had to make a great first impression. I was going to be working with my coordinator for the next year and I wanted things to be perfect. Even trying to pick out my outfit stressed me out. I wanted to look professional and approachable, nothing to warm because then I would be a sweaty mess and that's not a good look on anyone. When the clock struck 3:45 pm it was time to make our way to the room where the coordinators where waiting for all 200 of us. There was lists all on a white board to tell us what table our coordinator would be at. First time through the list I don't see my school name.... so then I go through each individual name... no Melissa. I obviously start to panic, which makes me sweat and nervous and I find one of the OEG staff who then tells me my coordinator will be a little late and I'll meet her at 4 in the lobby. I think okay good I can clam down, maybe dab the sweat from my forehead, then she says oh never mind it looks like she is here! Great :) My practiced Thai greeting slips my mind, and I'm nervous she won't understand my English because I am speaking so fast but then she replies with perfect English. This was the most relieved I had felt all day. She introduced herself as Dao and she is 25 and so beautiful! The 45 min car drive flew by because we were talking about everything and anything. We talked about the Thai education system and how it differs from the Ontario education system. We found similarities in our overprotective moms, and how the should have never of watched the movie "Taken". We also discovered we both worked for our parents at one time. Well she still does. Her parents actually built the school I'm working at because they wanted school to be close to home for their only daughter. Her mom is a teacher but now deals with the administrative things at the school, and her dad works for Delta Airlines. Her parents also own a restaurant down the street which the all work part time at. Dao works at the school during the day helping her mom with paperwork and then works at the restaurant weeknights and weekends. We stopped at the school first before my apartment even though all the kids had gone home for the day because her mom had some stuff she wanted to give me for my apartment... and their house is literally like attached to the school (it's really cute). Her mom comes out with open arms and explains how I am now her second daughter and to always text her if I am going somewhere for the weekend, or if I take a cab somewhere to take a picture of the license plate and send it to her just incase.... (mom did you hire this lady???) lol. She gave me a couple of plastic bags filled with water, milk, cereal, sandwiches and a Thai style omelet on rice because she figured I would be hungry. I felt so welcomed and it made me excited to see my apartment and start my new beginning here in Thailand. When we arrived my excited self started to deflate and I wanted to go home. I think this was the biggest culture shock I had to endure so far. The program had told me sheets and dishes would all be provided with my apartment, but that was not the truth. When Dao seemed surprised when we arrived and the place was empty. She was going to drive back home and grab me sheets but I already felt bad because they had given me so much I said I would be fine for the night (I brought a small blanket incase for the plane and had my neck pillow). She said she would take me out tomorrow to get some things for my apartment. I slept on my mini leather couch because I was creeped out by the bed and had to hold my bladder because I didn't have toilet paper either. Thankfully I had some kleenex, but I wanted to save that for a real emergency....so I had to drip and dry for the night. Mai pen rai. That is Thailand's way of saying, no worries. It's the way of life here, so I might as well start that state of mind with my new home. I was almost on the verge of tears, when Kayla called me and talked me out of it. It is a nice apartment, and enough space for one. I have a beautiful view, wifi in my apartment, a flushing toilet, a shower (that is cold and no pressure) but it works! I have never truly lived alone and it will take some adjusting and a few pictures to make it feel like home but it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment